I didn’t know E could sing the alphabet song until he suddenly sang it for me the other day. Well, truth be told, it’s a pretty loose approximation, but (being his mom) I was still impressed. Apparently between Daddy singing it with him and the talking alphabet toy at day care, he’s picked up quite a few chunks of it.
Here are some of our favourite words he seems to enjoy using:
- samurai (Auntie Em has a samurai alarm clock that speaks Japanese)
- vaporizer (we got one when he was sick and he wanted to know what it was – he also likes the word humidifier but pronounces it “formidifier”, which I imagine would be something else entirely)
Here are some things he’s been saying that make us chuckle:
- “Lemme show you.”
- “Do some typing.”
- “Wanna smell it.” (Usually in relation to cinnamon.)
- “I made it,” or conversely, “I broke it.” (Usually in relation to things he neither made nor broke.)
- When asked if he needs the potty, picking up my phone in obvious hopes of a redirect: “Play with my phone.”
- “Call them.” When asked whom he wants to call: “Friends.”
- With any random item he decides he wants to “clean”: “Put it in the garbage.” He’s gotten so industrious about this that sometimes he puts useful things, like hats, into the garbage.
- While playing with a folded piece flowery of wrapping paper: “Read it. Ooh, trees! Lift the flap.”
- After getting a big belly raspberry from his mom: “Excuse me. Excuse Mummy.”
- At no particular time, with a big smile and open arms for Auntie Em: “Happy birthday to you!”
- When he got scooped up onto Em’s lap, about to be tickled: “What’s gonna happen?!”
- He also likes to add “yeah” onto the end of suggestions he’d like to reinforce, as in, “Want a cookie, yeah.” I probably inadvertently taught him this while trying to confirm if the things he would say were real requests or just parrotting: “You want The Bellybutton Book? Yeah?”
We are amazed every day at the words he chooses to put together and the things he comments on. Man, this talking thing!! It’s exciting… and constantly entertaining.