Rotten Tomatoes is not so hot on the new film Dinner for Schmucks. Skye and I went to see it anyway. Here are thirteen thoughts about it.
- Adaptation of 1998 French film “Le dîner des cons”, ergo pretty zany.
- I do not recall anyone in the film actually using the word schmuck.
- There were lines that made me chuckle aloud (note: I was in a good mood… watching an uninterrupted movie w/ friend + popcorn. That helps).
- There were also lines (and whole scenes) that made me roll my eyes.
- There were actually a couple moments that I would venture to call poignant (remember: good mood!).
- Paul Rudd = cute and mostly endearing.
- Steve Carell = annoying and sorta funny. (As the character dictates.)
- P. R.’s girlfriend = adorable cross between Audrey Tautou (Amélie) and Morena Baccarin (Firefly) = refreshing change from the typical girlfriend.
- Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords) as nympho artist = hands-down best character. Pretty sure he improvised most of his lines.
- That Therman character = gotta be a nod to Office Space… where did they find a guy with such a strange combination of dweebiness and eeriness??
- That Darla character = horrifying.
- The actual Dinner = extraordinary gathering indeed! Guy with Vulture and Lady Who Channels Dead Animals = really quite something. Blind Swordsman = not as entertaining.
- Steve Carell’s Mousterpieces and Dioramas = worth the price of the ticket right there. Somebody actually made all of those. It’s crazy, dudes.
To sum up: Surpassed my (very low) expectations. But probably wait for it to come out on video. Or longer.
P.S. Sorry, Papa – Baby Bits next time, I promise!