Here’s the nursing gear that works for us (and some that doesn’t), in case you’d like to know:
- “My Brest Friend” nursing pillow. It is firm, sculpted foam, flat on top but for two bumps for baby’s head, with a removable slip-cover, and an adjustable clip for your waist. We LOVE it. (Even Daddy uses it for when he’s giving E a bottle.) It’s apparently#1 recommended by lactation consultants, which is why we chose it, but also our midwife was thrilled to see it because she agrees it’s the best kind, and friends of ours who don’t like most nursing pillows were impressed with this one. (The more doughnut-shaped ones tend to let baby roll inward.) Plus, it makes a cute skirty fashion accessory for a new mom.
- Bravado nursing bras. I tried on the nursing models of many a trusted bra brand (WonderBra, Triumph, I forget what all), and ALL of them seem to make my boobs look weird, like bug-eyes. I was recommended Bravado by a friend, and I never looked back. I have five of their bras, all very comfortable (even at night), good colours, easy to unsnap, supportive, machine-washable, and look good. Some even have removable liners to help protect your shirt.
- President’s Choice nursing pads. Yep, you read that right. Canadians can find them at their local Zehrs, Fortinos, No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore, etc. For those of you who know my fondness for PC, it leaned toward awe when I found these: super-affordable, washable, breathable waterproof so your shirt is safe, but thin so that they’re not clumpy in your bra. WAY better than the Bravado ones I bought, which let the milk through on a regular basis.
- I am told by a good friend that silicone nursing protectors are also great, and don’t leak. I haven’t tried them so I don’t personally vouch for them… but I thought it was important to mention this.
- I have a breast pump… it was a hand-me-down from a friend. It’s so-so… so, I will tell you that another good friend of mine recommends the Medela Swing: works for her.