Posted on June 29th, 2014
Summer has begun!
Favourite Last-Day-of-School Moment:
All the Grade 5 boys from the 5/6 class, who were actually getting along for once in their alpha-dog lives, TOTALLY ROCKING OUT to Beyoncé (All The Single Ladies). They danced and they knew the words.
Summer: Day 1 and 2 are IN THE BAG, folks.
Daddy had to work on Saturday, the official first day of summer vacation, so the kids and I went adventuring. I’m hoping that, by cramming a whole bunch of summery stuff into Day One, we will be in the right gear to accomplish the best possible summer, i.e. getting piles of important stuff done while also helping my kids have an amazing two months of learning/growing/fun. Piece o’ cake, right?
So, in case you’re wondering, Day One included:
- sunny back-roads road trip to visit Auntie Em, with car tunes and iced coffee and two children both miraculously in good humour;
- ice-cold fruit-infused water (lemon, cucumber, and raspberries);
- aforementioned children sitting in a breezy window seat at Emi’s “impartment”, playing with the curtain;
- homemade popsicles amidst Emi’s lusciously verdant balcony plants;
- trip to local splash pad/park, including Slushie consumption and bicycle ride;
- snacks in the dappled shade;
- absolutely gorgeous summer weather;
- excited running and a few subsequent scrapes;
- trip to berry farm for fresh Ontario strawberries;
- brief-but-satisfying picnic with family at conservation area, including wading, ukulele-playing, dog-watching, and running around with sticks. (Feel free to guess who did what.)
Pretty good, right? Day Two was a bit less busy, and included lots of rapturous/screechy playing with Daddy, as well as leisurely breakfast, celebratory end-of-school dinner, two laundries being put away, and Mummy rediscovering the surface of her dresser for the first time in
years quite a while.
Not bad so far. Canada Day is sure to be full of fun too. We’ll keep you posted.