Advent Awesomeness

Posted on December 3rd, 2012

Hey everybody,

CHECK THIS OUT.

homemade advent calendar

It’s basically the coolest advent calendar EVER. Auntie Beth has some serious crafty skillz! That polar bear is very soft and fuzzy, as is the snowman’s hat. I would love to say that I made it myself for my beloved firstborn, but no… I think he’d be about sixteen by the time I pulled off something of this magnificence.

{My first instinct, when I saw it, was to blog it that very moment. But I took the weekend off! And it felt weird, but nice.}

She gave it to E on December 1st, as is appropriate, and each morning since then, he has needed to see it and check the new numbered pocket immediately after waking up. He is obsessed with it (especially the number 13 pocket, which is mysteriously bumpy… as more of them will be, as soon as Mama manages to get time to fill things properly). So far, he has a collection of three little temporary tattoos.

I love advent calendars. When we were kids, we each had our own advent calendar. None of your temporary chocolate-based calendars, but beautiful artisanesque ones where finding the numbers was tricky, and inside each window was a beautiful festive picture. My calendar – the best one – was the snowy elves’ village, where the windows to be opened were mostly actual windows and doors in the scene, so when you opened them they revealed what was happening in the elves’ homes.

It was the same every year, but I LOVED IT. It was so, so exciting.

We were fortunate, where we live, to have a light, pretty snowfall on November 30th, so that December first looked fitting as advent-calendar day.

I have a blogger-mama-friend whose holiday-inspired posts last year thrilled me to no end. Here’s one with a beautiful pic of the advent calendar she made for her boys… So great. (Keep browsing for reindeer cookie photos!)

Happy December, Di-hards!

7 Responses to “Advent Awesomeness”

3 December, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I still have most of those old advent calendars, waiting to be re-used. I have a feeling, though, that yours is the one we can’t find… Do you think so, too? Aw. They can’t compare with Beth;s for Ev, though.

3 December, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I would definitely use mine if it were findable!

3 December, 2012 at 9:36 pm

The reason there’s a ; instead of ‘ in the comment above is that, for some reason,
    the comment window runs way too far off to the right and is hidden behind the ads
    column. I thought I could do it without being able to see everything, but I
    obviously didn’t reach that pinky far enough. THIS time I’m using “return” so I
    can see what’s going on. Can’t imagine why this sudden change in the window… I
    don’t know if the site will let me post this – sometimes when I’ve tried to add a
    p.s. or make a correction it tells me I’m being too fast and won’t post – in fact,
    erases my comment. We’ll see…

3 December, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I’ll see what I can do about that. (And when I say “I”, I mean I’ll ask Uncle Ben…)

3. I Might even try to create that! Wow!

And I had the Elf Advent calender as well…wish I still had it…it was so cool! I wonder if any stores sell that, I haven’t seen it around in years.

Cindy

5 December, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I wonder that too… I’ve looked for that type of advent calendar before in stores, and I can ONLY ever find disposable chocolate ones.

4. Anna
    5 December, 2014 at 12:02 am

WOW!!!! Yeah Auntie Beth!!!!