Why I Love “How I Met Your Mother”

Posted on November 14th, 2011

Today was the first day this NaBloPoMonth that I’ve felt completely uninspired to write. I think it’s because it’s been pissing rain and (perhaps consequently) I’ve had a nasty headache… the kind that squashes creativity.

So I’ve decided to use other people’s creativity instead. Sean and I don’t have any TV channels at our house, just lots of DVDs. We have been re-watching Season 5 of our beloved How I Met Your Mother; we are a season-and-a-half out of date in our viewership, but oh well. Regardless, it’s one of our favourite shows ever.

I could try to put my finger on why, exactly, I love these characters like they were my very own bros. (Can I have bros if I’m a girl? Can the girls be my bros too?) There are a million little reasons, but I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of them have to do with singing.

From tiny gems like this one

to recurring awesomeness like this

to epic ballads like this

to this most genius music video that erstwhile children of the 80s could possibly hope for

to this masterpiece that’s been stuck in my head now for two days straight – and it’s still good!

And now, I feel better.

8 Responses to “Why I Love “How I Met Your Mother””

1. Skye
    14 November, 2011 at 10:53 pm

You know me – I love them, too! I think my favourites are “The Slutty Pumpkin” and “The Pineapple Incident”. I have really been liking this season . . . so I’ll talk to you in about 18 months!

2. Krista
    14 November, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Yep, Skye got me addicted too… I just got Season 1 (I had 2 thru 5) so now I may have to re-watch them all….

3. Rachel McQuail
    15 November, 2011 at 12:49 am

Hmmmm…we’re always looking for a good TV series to watch on DVD…so perhaps we can borrow when you’re done? ; )

• diblog
      15 November, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Rachel, absolutely!

4. Quinnsies
    15 November, 2011 at 9:39 am

Love this show. You like the singing, I like the dancing. My favorites are Marshall’s solo in the club (hilarious), the suit-up dance spectacular, and a recent duet with Robin and Barney (you’ll see later).

• diblog
      15 November, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Quinnsies, there’s no doubt I love the dancing too – that’s part of why “Nothing Suits Me Like A Suit” is so fantastic… but I fear I sometimes sound like a broken record, going on and on about dancing. ;) Can’t wait for the duet!

5. 15 November, 2011 at 10:27 am

seriously, right?! I am a HUGE fan of the show – & we watch it all the time here (we own all the seasons on DVD).

• diblog
      15 November, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Devan, we now own all the seasons currently available – and they just don’t get old! Still funny after multiple watchings. I feel this way about Scrubs, too – at least the earlier seasons. Hope you’re enjoying your new books ;) Soooo much better than the movies!