What a cool planet.

Posted on November 10th, 2011

Here is one thing I love about this time of year, one aspect of November that never fails to uplift me when I catch sight of it: the dizzying, humbling spectacle of hundreds of birds flying in synchrony. It tops my list of “Things I Would Miss About Planet Earth If I Were Abducted By Aliens”.

This montage was created by Dylan Winter, travel journalist and wildlife cameraman. It’s absolutely incredible, mesmerizing. You’ll forget what you’re watching and start thinking deep thoughts about the spiritual and artistic commonalities to be found in the strata of the natural world. I bet.

6 Responses to “What a cool planet.”

1. Krista
    10 November, 2011 at 10:58 pm

1. I love that you have a “Things I Would Miss About Planet Earth If I Were Abducted By Aliens” list.

2. You lose the bet. Here’s what I thought of (both almost immediately) upon seeing the video:
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
    😀

2. diblog
    11 November, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Yeah, or that evil micro-cloud-machine thing from Lost…
    And I must admit that Pachelbel’s Canon is pretty hackneyed for this. But I still find it pretty. 🙂

3. Auntie CL
    11 November, 2011 at 9:54 pm

when i was driving to Canada to immigrate in November of 1970, with my mother, we saw a wonderful huge skein of birds – hundreds of thousands, we think, that flew up and then moved in such a way that it looked like a ribbon twisting and furling in the sky. neither of us has ever forgotten that.

13 November, 2011 at 10:07 pm

To quote a famous erstwhile 4-year-old of our acquaintance: “Dat look like fun!”

16 November, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Di, did you see the one that Nanc posted on facebook, with two women in a canoe in Ireland? Dat was cool too. I know i have seen this in person but not sure when or how often… it is neat in video but looks so much like an awesome special effect that it’s hard not to just think it’s CGI or something!

Krista, you are SCARY.

6. 20 November, 2011 at 6:41 pm

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 10th, 2011 at 8:44 pm and is filed under Videoposts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.