10 thoughts on “Toddler Tracks: Vocabularrific

1. emerge says:

OMG I wish I had been home for My button fell off!!

It was pretty funny today when you put on your coat and he came up to you and was like “Goodbye, Mummy.”

And what was he doing earlier when he went into the kitchen with something, telling you “I got it”?

Yesterday I was making coffee and he really wanted the big green can of decaf (“have it!!”) so I put it down for him to see, we took off the lid and he smelled it. I thought he was going to be grossed out, but he said, very assuredly, “I like it.”

2. emerge says:

I admit to training him in the personages of Buffy. But only after he had shown an interest. For a while, every time he came downstairs and saw my computer he would say “watch Buffy!”

Also, when we read Howsago and I ask him “Who’s in the cockpit?” he says “Guy.” (In the sentence “the guy in the cockpit is called a Pilot,” that is the word he latched onto!) And of course he knows the Mechanic is holding a Wrench.

3. emerge says:

Wait, wait, also – he has started asking for Big E and Little e when we’re drawing (due to the Dr Seuss ABCs I assume) and today when we drew a 2 on the white board he said Big 2 and asked for Little 2.

4. Krista says:

Okay, I officially want a kid. With a sense of humour and an amazing vocabulary just to amuse me… hmmm…. apparently I want your kid. I’ll just come visit sometime.

5. Quinn says:

Awww, he’s so brilliant. I love these stories! I’ve been watching Buffy from the beginning (for the first time), so I especially appreciate his ability to list off the members of the scooby gang. ­čÖé

6. diblog says:

@ Krista, yes! Come visit!
    @ Quinn… ah, Buffy is great. Sean and I got VERY invested in those characters when we watched the whole series. When Alyson Hannigan cries, you have to cry along.

7. just a wee correction: those who gave him the books were two great-aunts AND a first-cousin-once-removed who actually lives out there where that west-coast art comes from.
    i think it’s very creative of you to use his surfboard as a tray, but i’m glad you appreciate its clear proper intended purpose.

8. Grammie says:

Well, not only did the blog itself make me LOL, but most of the comments did, too. I was there for the coffee-sniffing and I laughed at the time. ‘Course, most kids do like the smell of coffee ‘way before they’re old enough to try it, and then they’re usually disappointed. (Lots of people don’t ever really get over this, and will only drink coffee with lots of cream and sugar, so that the coffee is a sort of flavouring for the other stuff.)

Another thing he learned – but apparently (and probably fortunately) only temporarily – was “It’s perverse.” This arose when Yerpa made that comment about something like E’s having a sweet little stuffed animal kiss the batmobile. E liked the sound of it and went about saying, “It’s perverse” for a time.