Posted on April 11th, 2010
Today, while eating dinner, we were watching Knocked Up, starring Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl. We were commenting – Sean, Auntie Em, and I – on Katherine’s gorgeousness, and Sean mentioned, “Yeah, she might be on my list.”
So I think it’s time to get this one out in the open. The “laminated list” from Friends has become part of pop culture for a certain generation: it’s a list of the celebrities with whom your significant other would concede you could, uh, get jiggy if you had the opportunity. (And it makes the assumption that you never will. I mean, they’re celebrities. Besides, if you really think of it, most celebrities have all kinds of sordid baggage, right? Realistically, do you want to get involved and have to consider drug habits, egos, eating disorders, megalomania, jerkishness, what have you? For the purposes of my list, I leave actual personality out of it. They’re all actors anyway, so who knows what their personality is?)
Here they are, members of Dilovely’s Laminated List o’ Famous Men (they all happen to be actors – and yes, I know it’s only supposed to be 5, but I’m a rebel):
1. James McAvoy – May I just state, for the record, that he is actually in a class by himself. I love him way more than I love the rest of these blokes. In fact, I never knew the meaning of a full-fledged celebrity crush until Atonement. There’s just something irresistible about him. He’s cute even in goat legs. He’s truly talented, and (I know I’m leaving personality out of this but) his colleagues speak highly of him so he might be a genuinely cool guy. Plus, he can do any accent – but his real one is Scottish. Sigh.
2. Jude Law- was first wowed by him in The Talented Mr. Ripley, couldn’t believe he was so beautiful.
3. Robert Downey, Jr. – was first wowed by him in high school when, for once, my girlfriends and I all were fully satisfied by the same movie: Only You. Somehow, he’s even better-looking now.
4. Colin Farrell – he has my preferred eyebrows, and a sexy Irish accent doesn’t hurt either.
5. Joseph Fiennes – he has great eyebrows too, and his beautiful, soulful eyes in Shakespeare in Love are simply unforgettable; he looks equally good with whiskers and without.
6. Ryan Reynolds – He was hot in Van Wilder and Two Guys and a Girl – and he simply continues to be so. Plus: Canadian.
7. Ryan Gosling – incredibly talented but also beautiful; amazing that he can do The Notebook, Lars and the Real Girl, and Half Nelson with equal persuasiveness. Plus: Canadian.
BONUS: I definitely meant to mention Zachary Levi, whom I only know as Chuck – and I’m WAY behind in watching Chuck anyway… but he has beautiful eyebrows. And how can one not be a little smitten by this (my fave Chuck moment so far)?
And, just for fun, a list of 6 male celebrities that other people love and who, no offense, really don’t do much for me:
1. Hugh Grant – he’s got a charming way about him, but his face is too droopy.
2. Nicholas Cage – something about him reminds me of a monkey.
3. Pierce Brosnan – basically good-looking and dashing and all, but… meh.
4. Harrison Ford – yes, he’s Han Solo and Indiana Jones, he’s a legend, etc., but physically – and I know this is sacrilege – I don’t see what all the fuss is about.
5. Robert Pattinson – Yes, I loved the Twilight books, but I had a very different Edward in mind. This one was a big disappointment for me.
6. Brad Pitt – I know, I know! What’s wrong with me? I don’t deny he’s awful pretty, but he just doesn’t wow me. Maybe if he were Scottish.
And now it’s Dilovely’s bedtime, but please stay tuned for the Laminated List, Part II: if I swung (swang?) the other way…