I hope all you Ontarians who get Family Day had a great one!
We are one of those families who relishes a good collective feast.
Here’s what we had, to feed fifteen (well, fourteen – one was eating carrot purée instead) lovely people at my sister’s apartment (it was potluck):
Homemade by those in attendance…
- nut-and-seed granola
- garlic hummus
- rosemary-flavoured farmer’s cheese
- pineapple-mandarin salad
- cranberry cheese ball
- count ’em – four varieties of mini-muffins (forming a continuum: banana-oat, banana-chocolate-chip, orange-chocolate-chip, and orange raisin)
- vegan valentine chocolate layer cake
Not homemade but still delicious:
- cocoa-cinnamon raisin swirl bread (from With the Grain)
- crackers and cheese
- potato perogies with fried onions
- vegan sausage
- mini cinnamon rolls
- candied ginger slices
- roasted cashews
- real organic maple syrup
- yogurt (dairy and soy)
- oranges and grapefruit
- coffee, white tea, herbal tea, orange juice, blueberry pomegranate juice, and various spiking liquids (Kahlua, Irish whiskey, etc.)
Special food on holidays: SO great. Let’s all be inspired and eat food worth eating today!